Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I don't like homeschooling.

There.  I said it. 

I like being with my kids, I like knowing what they are learning, I like seeing when they are excited about something they are learning...which happens on occasion. 

I love field trips!!

I think the reason I don't like it, is because it's hard.  It's time-consuming.  At times, it seems all-consuming.

Often I hear people say, "Oh, I could never homeschool."  I really think that what they mean is, "Oh, I don't want to homeschool."   Why? Because it's hard. It takes time.  It takes energy.  And, now that I'm not pregnant or nursing in pretty much the first time in 15 years, it takes coffee!

But, I feel called to do it. Deut 6:6-7  "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." As R. C. Sproul, Jr. says, that means we teach them all the time.   And I know that, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Phil 4:13  Those verses keep going when I want to quit, which is pretty much every day. 



Maybe it's not so bad that I don't really like it.  Maybe it's really what keeps me going.  And maybe there are just parts of it that I don't like...like preparing for, or teaching, classes with a 2 yo saying, "Mom...Mom...Mom."  

I really LOVE learning everything they are learning.  Maybe it's a means to and end and maybe that's not so bad.  Maybe it's like labor...it hurts, but look at the beautiful outcome!  I hope so!

3 comments:

  1. You are so awesome Sue!!! My hero!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm making the crock pot Omelet Casserole for breakfast like you made for us! It smells great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the labor analogy. Thanks for being so transparent...encouraging insight for a brand new homeschool mom.

    ReplyDelete