Sunday, November 13, 2011

I need a day off. And, Jackie Robinson's story.

Ok, maybe "need" isn't the correct term.

How about, I want a day off?  Or, I'll give you a dollar for a day off?   Pleeeeeaaase can I have a day off?

Just had to get that out there.  I feel better now.

Do you know who Jackie Robinson was?  In 1947, "when Jackie first donned a Brooklyn Dodger uniform, he pioneered the integration of professional athletics in America.  The Major Leagues had not had an African-American player since 1889, when baseball became segregated. By breaking the color barrier in baseball, the nation's preeminent sport, he courageously challenged the deeply rooted custom of racial segregation in both the North and the South."
(http://www.jackierobinson.com/about/bio.html) 

This was not popular.    Before he started to play for the Dodgers the manager told him he would be abused and insulted and asked the outspoken, fiery ball-player to restrain himself in the midst of all of that.  Robinson did so amazingly.  Pitchers would throw balls at him.  Spectators and players called him the worst names and did not want him playing with them.  He kept his cool.  He endured.  Except for maybe one incident, he did not retaliate.

I learned about him when teaching school to my kids one year.   Because Luke is an aggressive player, he has faced  some difficulties with soccer referees, opposing players, and spectators at times.  This weekend he had playoff games for the State championships.  Before his game today, I was really thinking about the right way to respond in these oppositional situations.   He had stayed overnight with another family, and I didn't see him before the game.  So, I texted him.  Here's part of my text, "Hi Luke.  Have a great game today.  Be a Jackie Robinson.  Be respectful to the refs, players and spectators- that is the right thing, although it's the harder thing."

I asked him if he got my text before the game.  Yes.  Do you remember who Jackie Robinson was?  Yes.  Good.

Here are a few shots from their tie game today. 

Here's Luke playing hard.

The ref is talking to opposing player after he did a dangerous bicycle kick directly into Luke's back.  That's Luke getting up.

Later:  He's down, but not out.   It's a rough sport.

Here's Levi working hard during halftime.

School synopsis for today:  

  • Nobody promised days off for the teacher/mom.  
  • Play hard and restrain reactions to hostility and "bad calls".   

A verse for both of them:  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Phil 4:13



................................................................................................................................................................

1 comment:

  1. I love reading the blog because you are sharing moments I don't get to experience.

    I am grateful for this window into your life! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete