Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Older kids work more independently

As I've been talking with fellow homeschoolers the past few weeks, it seems that the theme is that the older the kids, the less work mom has to do.  

When I asked one fellow homeschool mom how she fit in teaching days of coop classes each week she said she doesn't have to teach too much because she has 3 teens.  She said, "Imagine you have three Lukes (my 15 yo 10th grader)."  I kind of stood there with a deer-in-the-headlights kind of look trying to imagine that, and frankly I'm still trying to imagine that.  I think that means I could be drinking coffee and blogging while 3 teens are laboriously working independently.  Alone.   Quietly.  I could probably even make a phone call and complete it without being interrupted.  I didn't want to think about it too long and, you know, and start salivating or something.  

Then, when I asked another friend what her pre-schooler does during school she said it wasn't really an issue because her boys (teens) pretty much do their work on their own.  I couldn't take any more so I started saying "La-la-la-la..."  and waving my hands in front of my ears so the madness would stop.  Just kidding.  Ok, no I'm not, I really did that, but she's a really good friend and she took it in stride.  

If I think about it, my two teens pretty much do their work independently too.  And my 11 yo is doing much more on her own this year.  I still teach some things to each of them, but I spend most of my time on the youngest.  

No real point here.  Just a recent observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment